The Manager is hired to serve the Council and the community and to bring to the local government the benefits of training and experience in administering local government projects and programs on behalf of the governing body. The Manager is responsible for the:
- Day-to-day operation of the City
- Prepares a budget for the Council's consideration
- Recruits, hires, and supervises the City's staff
- Serves as a buffer between elected officials and the City workforce to avoid even the appearance of patronage
- Serves as the Council's Chief Adviser
- Carries out the Council's policies
Council members and citizens count on the manager to provide complete and objective information, pros and cons of alternatives, and long-term consequences.