November 8, 2016 General Election
PRESS RELEASE: Anyone interested in running for an elective City office may apply for the position beginning Wednesday, June 1, 2016 and the last day to file is Tuesday, August 30, 2016. The election will be held November 8, 2016. The positions open for election this year is the office of Mayor, Council position Ward 1 and Council position Ward 2. The new terms begin January 2017.
Qualifications under the City Charter to run for Mayor or City Council are: Must be a resident of the City of Klamath Falls or area annexed to City continuously during the four (4) years immediately preceding the election. The Mayor is elected at large and Council members need to be a resident of the ward.
Any person interested in applying for the positions should contact City Recorder Elisa Olson at 500 Klamath Avenue, to obtain the necessary election manual and filing forms after May 31, 2016. Questions can be answered by calling the office of the City Recorder at 883-5316.
One of the largest problems facing the City is housing blight. Many houses are abandoned and without regular maintenance deteriorate to the point that the houses are no longer habitable. Other homes are vacant because the mortgage company has not yet gone through foreclosure. All of this has a negative impact on the value of homes in many neighborhoods.
Learn about how Vacant Property Registration will help prevent blight. LEARN MORE
Street Division crews will be performing work during the hours of 6:00 am to 4:30 pm (weather permitting) on Aug 1, through Aug 5, 2016 as follows:
Stewart Lennox Subdivision - Crack Seal, Chip Seal Preparations:
Monday Aug 1 - Crack sealing Balsam Drive. Expect lane closures and delays.
Tuesday Aug 2 - Aug 4 - Chip seal prep and road cleaning.
Thursday Aug 4 and 5 Klamath County Chip Seal of all Stewart Lennox road ways.
Street Striping Crew:
Crews will be painting crosswalks and arrows on Shasta Way, 11th St., Pine St., Oregon Ave. and Biehn St. beginning Tuesday Aug 2 through Friday Aug 5, 2016
- 4:00 am to 7:00 am Shasta Way to 6th St and Austin Street
- 7:00 am to 2:00 pm, 11th St, Pine to Oregon Ave. to Biehn St. to Crater Lake Parkway
- Melrose Water Main Upgrade Project:
- Traffic being detoured around Melrose St. between Pacific Terrace & Newcastle St.
- Traffic also being detoured around Haskins Alley between Portland St. & Earle St.
- Main St. Underpass Handrail Project:
- Pedestrians being detoured to the north side of Main St. & the east side of East Main St.
- Westbound Main St. traffic being tapered into one lane at underpass.
- Pelican Booster Project: Expect delays on Montelius St. between Nevada St. & Gage St. Montelius will be limited to only one lane, being controlled by flaggers.
The City would like to thank Citizens, in advance for proceeding with caution in areas where crews are working. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the City of Klamath Falls Public Works Department at (541) 883-5363.