Mayors in Council-Manager communities (or chairpersons in counties) are key political leaders and policy developers. Their duties, responsibilities, and authorities depend on the organization's charter. In Council-Manager communities, typically the Mayor:
- Presides at Council meetings
- Serves as a spokesperson for the community
- Facilitates communication and understanding between elected and appointed officials
- Assists the Council in setting goals and advocating policy decisions
- Serves as a promoter and defender of the community
In addition, the Mayor serves as a key City representative in intergovernmental relations. The Mayor, Council, and Manager constitute a policy-development and management team.